connect_icut – Small Town by the Sea (Aagoo) 2×12″/CD/DL
Small Town by the Sea (Aagoo, 2014), is simultaneously connect_icut’s most accessible and most ambitious album. It’s the first to feature a truly solid rhythmic underpinning (aka beats) but it also packs in all manner of epic song structures, processed field recordings and general psychedelic madness. Dedicated to connect_icut’s home-base in Vancouver, Canada, Small Town by the Sea twists familiar environmental sound tropes (bird song, ocean waves) into new shapes, creating an uncannily powerful sense of place and time. As with all connect_icut productions, the results are both enveloping and ominous. The album is being issued in two completely different versions – a tight, punchy mix for CD/download and another, more expansive mix for vinyl. To provide the deepest, most immersive sound possible, the vinyl version has been cut as two 45rpm 12″ singles.
- Listen to “Tennis Players” on SoundCloud
- Listen to “Bathroom Mirror” on SoundCloud
- Listen to “74 Guitars” on SoundCloud
—Praise for Small Town by the Sea
- “It is a gripping-by-the-throat beauty.” – Caleidoscoop
- “Six intriguing tracks and each one is effective and reflective. Smart and resilient electronic music from a different mental space.” – Babysue
- “A perfect album for those who are driven by curiosity.” – Paperblog
- “With adventure aplenty while rich in sounds and effects, this album dwells in being one hell of a seaside resort excursion.” – Penny Black Music
- “More than an album – a real psychic journey.” – ImpattoSonoro
- “Has a pleasant weirdness that sparks your imagination without giving you a headache.” – WRUV
- “It’s a place for daydreamers, deliberately instigating lapses in concentration.” – Rock-a-Rolla
Recommended if you like: Actress; Burial; Vladislav Delay; Demdike Stare; Fieldhead; Forest Swords; Holly Herndon; Monolake; Oval; Rhythm & Sound; Andy Stott etc.