Archive for September, 2011
The greatest thing to happen to Vancouver this year. If you live here and you don’t attend this show, you are a bad person.
Here are the details…
Oval & Mountains
October 2nd, show starts at 8pm prompt
The Western Front, 303 East 8th Avenue, Vancouver
- Secret Pyramid – “Milk & Honey”
- Fieldhead – “I’m Fond of Maps”
- No Ufos – “Evidence/Century Park”
- connect_icut – “The Left Hand of Darkness”
And here are the full details…
“Secret Pyramid, No Ufos, connect_icut, Fieldhead & Cloudface
Friday September 30th 2011 at 8pm
Blim, 115 East Pender St., Vancouver BC, Canada
Early show! Starts at 8pm and ends promptly at midnight.
SECRET PYRAMID | http://secretpyramid.blogspot.com/
– “Swirling washes, layers of howling feedback and cosmic buzz, soft whispers giving way to deep, dark ambiance. Creepy drones hover like grey mist, feedback swells echoing like flutes or distant birds, all building up to a gorgeous fuzz-drenched climax, beautifully whirling sound walls akin to the cryptic tones of Kevin Drumm’s ‘Imperial Horizon’, but less industrial. Secret Pyramid offers up something mystical, serene and ephemeral.” –
CONNECT_ICUT | http://csaf-records.com/
– connect_icut is an English artist living in Vancouver, also involved with Interim Lovers, The Bastion Mews and Not Me. connect_icut creates abstract, melodic, highly textured and expansive electronica. –
NO UFO’S | http://soundcloud.com/nice-up
“Pretty dang successful… the lateral aktion is most nod-worthy” Byron Coley, The Wire
FIELDHEAD | www.fieldheadmusic.com
– Fieldhead (P. Elam, Vancouver, BC) delights in tape hiss, geography, bleak landscapes and decaying analogue loops.
“…paints atmosphere better than a whole ream of his electronica comtemporaries ever could, creating unhealthy amounts of awe with his string slices and distortion washes…” –
CLOUDFACE | http://soundcloud.com/dssr
– Hypnotic synth driven scattering loveliness. -“
Here are the details from the CSAF Records website…
This volume begins with a typically excellent mix from Fieldhead (aka Paul Elam of The Declining Winter). Probably the most melodically developed and rhythmically solid track in the whole series so far, this is an ideal entry point for newcomers. If you were so inclined, you could even “skank” to this.
The next comes a mix from Ross Birdwise of Vancouver’s legendary EDR (don’t ask what it stands for) and hmbkr. Ross adds a virtual choir of extended vocal techniques to the mix. Scary and brilliant in equal measure, this will appeal to folks who enjoyed Carsten Nicolai and Blixa Bargeld’s anbb project.
The EP is rounded off by two new mixes from CSAF stalwart connect_icut. These are in a post-Basic Channel dub-techno style that fans of Deepchord Presents Echospace will appreciate.
1. Fieldhead Remix (3:30)
2. Ross Birdwise Nicotine Stain Banshee Mix (4:05)
1. connect_icut 2011 Mix (5:20)
2. connect_icut Infinite Mix (10:00)